Friday, December 21, 2007

Welcome

Welcome to the CTG Blog, or Cole Thomas Griffin blog. As most of you know, Cole is our unborn son and has quite a challenge ahead of him in terms of his congenital heart defects. Laura and I would like to say THANK YOU to everyone that has lifted up our family in prayer for these past few months. Please continue to do so.

The purpose of this blog is to convey updates on Cole and his pending surgeries. We know that most of the people reading this care about us and our family and we want to keep you informed. However, it would be incredibly difficult for me to personally call each and every one of you every time there is a change in condition, beginnings and ends of surgeries, moving from NICU to CVICU, etc.....Laura will not be in a position to call everyone, and frankly, I call people and talk on the phone all day for a living and it is the last thing I want to do in my spare time. This is even more true when the news is not always cheery.

So, as of right now, Laura's due date is January 9, 2008 but she is scheduled for an induction on January 7, 2008. Based on the size measurements, he could be born as soon as December 22, 2007 (tomorrow!). The plan of attack right now is that once he is born, the Docs will put him on prostaglandin in order to open up his pulmonary artery allowing blood to flow from his heart to his lungs. This will give them time to observe him, take an ultrasound of his heart, and to set up his first surgery. This should occur when he is 2-4 days old. They will be inserting what is called a shunt, which basically helps reroute some of the blood to where it is supposed to go.

We will update you if anything changes. Here is my non PC close:

Merry CHRISTmas and Happy New Year!
God Bless You and We Love You! <><

Matt

13 comments:

Lyndsy said...

I think that the blog was a great idea. You guys have enough on your plate to deal with as apposed to having to give everyone updates. I will keep you Laura, Ava and Cole in my prayers. I will continue to check up on Cole until he arrives. Please let me know if I can do anything for you guys. I love ya'll!!
Lyndsy

Anne said...

What a great idea. Thank you for taking the time to do this and share with all of us what's happening with Cole. We are here for you all and are lifting you, Laura, little Ava, and Cole up in our prayers daily. Lots of love, and Merry CHRISTmas!!!!

Will-n-Jeannie said...

Like everyone else has sai,this is a great idea. We have been praying hard, and will continue too. We love you all, love Will and Jeannie

ben said...

I agree that the best way to answer all the questions people have are with this blog. Susan and I wish you and your family all the best for the coming year. Our thoughts and prayers will be with you as we begin the New Year. Susanh nad Ben Aizenman

Unknown said...

Matt,

We have been praying for you guys daily and will continue so as the induction date approaches. I have done some reading about the fontan procedure and was especially pleased to read about the Phd holding mother who had learned to live quite normally with the heart problem. You'll be in our hearts and prayers as we head for Florida this Saturday for about 5 weeks. We have our laptop so will follow the blog as we travel around Florida. Please know that the whole family is squarely behind you and if there is anything we can do to help, just call.
George & Barbara Bond

Anonymous said...

Mother and I hold you deep in our heart and will continue to pray for the four of you and your family and friends too. We pray for the doctors and nurses and all personel at that fine hospital.Know you are loved abundantly.We pray for God's best for each of you! Don't forget Jeremiah 29:11...."for I know the thoughts and plans I have for you thoughts for good and not for evil...to give you a future and a hope!" We love you very much.
Edie & Lynn

in transition said...

Hello today is the day i cant wait until you get a moment to tell us how it all went. My thoughts are always with Laura and Ava and yourself. I pray for you everyday i cant wait to meet Cole. Everynight before i go to bed i ask for a big prayer for Cole. I cant wait to findout how many lbs he is as of today. Will he get surgery right away?

Lisa

The McCutchans said...

We are so glad that baby Cole is finally here! Congratulations! He was born on my Dad's birthday, so I will never forget his birthday! I love it when that happens. We have been praying for you guys and know that God is 100% in control. We love you!

Brandi, Philip and Isabella McCutchan

in transition said...

Congrats he is perfect and Laura of course looks amazing. God bless.

Lisa

Gina said...

To My GODBrother & GODSister,

GOD is good!! Cole is the most precious lil fellow I have ever seen! Those checks......I could pinch them off :). I know that yall are Happy, Anxious, Joyful & Overwhelmed!!! Cole is GODS special special gift to our family! I cant wait to see all of you. Let me know if there is anything yall need!!
I pray that GOD holds yall all close & comforts each of you in everyway needed.....
Prayers, Hugs & Kisses
Love Gina

Unknown said...

We just prayed as family for you Cole. We are praying for God's perfect will in your life.

Matt, Laura and family,

We are praying for peace that passes understanding.

Love,
Crystie, Caitlyn, Jon, and Shawn

-Jon wanted to pray and sang "God our Father"

in transition said...

Thank you for the update i understand about the phone calls and understand about needing this time. You need anything i am a phone call away and i will just need to know if you still want me to bring food to your in laws next week. if you want me to wait let me know at ligavin31@comporium.net or home 803-746-7253. i will not come by and bother anyone. Once again Cole is perfect he looks like an angel and you guys look amazing in GRACE. God bless you my prayers are with you everyday. Say hello to Laura pleae

Lisa

in transition said...

just wanted to see if anything was updated before bed. i am thinking of you and your famiy and thinking so much of Cole. God bless and lots of love sent to you from us.

lisa