Friday, September 24, 2010

Mommy's Arms







Last night Sharon and I came back to the hospital a little after 6:30. It's to be expected after a surgery that nobody is comfortable. It's so hard to try to not cry with your 2 year old as he cries and looks to you to make it go away and make it better. He just kept saying "need you mom."

At that point, there was no question that I was spending the night! Nobody needs to have that said twice by their little one.

After some switching and transfering lines and chest tubes (drainage tubes), Cole wanted me to hold him so we settled awkwardly in the rocking chair. Cole was finally comfortable because we were close. He was over the hand holding and he didn't care if it hurt to be transfered so I could hold him. He relaxed almost immediatley and finally closed his eyes to sleep.

He is really bothered by his central line since it is stitched and taped to his neck. If he pulls on it, he feels it pretty bad, but it automatically pulls with some of the weight from the other mechanics and things attached to it.

After a while of arms falling asleep, every muscle cramping, and some of them starting to have ticks from fatigue, I was still determined to hold him all night if that kept him relaxed and from crying. It didn't last too much longer because his chest tubes kept shifting and pulling and those really hurt with any kind of movement or touch. He was hurting and I couldn't take that I was doing it and I transfered him back to the bed.

I won't talk about all through the night because it will be like that every night until he goes home and I just need to focus on the fact that we are that much closer to Cole getting to go home.

Come back to some of these posts I will get pictures up asap!

5 comments:

Griffin Family said...

Vicky! Australia! Thank you for keeping up with absolute strangers! Your heart for us as a mommy and family and your prayers are humbling. That goes for everyone that hasn't posted too. We feel your heartfelt prayers and empathy and it amazes us that strangers would take us on like we are their own. We thought when we saw "Mummy" for mommy you might not be from these parts:)

Laura

Griffin Family said...

Stone Family,
I won't spell out entire names for each of you or it will take up my comment page and I won't get to say what I want:)
We know it is a challenge taking on praying and the heaviness we feel because everyone is going through their own tremendous life hurdles right now! We love you.
Love,
Laura

Griffin Family said...

Angie Guy and family,

It amazes us who Cole has touched and reached. It makes me cry right now again at the far reaching support we have from everyone all over!

Love,
Laura

Griffin Family said...

Margie and Michael,
We read through your comment and it was a bright spot to see that heartfelt message from you all! We love you!
Love,
Laura & Matt

Griffin Family said...

I am trying to remember everyone who has posted a comment. They are like bursts of encouragement and help keep us grounded that much more when we start feeling like we can't do this another 10 minutes.
I haven't met a lot of you from Family Trust but I know how happy Matt is there and he truly values each one of you and that means so much to me that you all make Family Trust a place he wants to be. Thank you for your support and dropping what is going on for the moment in your lives to focus on Cole!
Love,
Laura